Monday, January 31, 2011

Zeitgeistery

I don't know how many of you have heard of the Zeitgeist Movement, but I have heard people laud it as the greatest thing ever.

The first movie is based on embarrassingly bad research, in my opinion, but that was mostly in regards to history and religion. Apparently, that first movie was a sort of lead-in to the second (big surprise!), which is a sort of advert for some form of Utopian society.

I must admit to not watching either movie myself, as simply reading a summary of the ideas presented therein was enough to convince me that it was a waste of time. I haven't payed much attention to Zeitgeist except to shake my head when I heard one of it's fanatics parroting its talking points.

I'm no economist, however, but I fortunately stumbled upon Stefan Molyneux's critique of the most recent movie, and found it fairly entertaining and quite reasonable. Peter Joseph, spokesperson and, I think, founder, (cult-leader?) of the whole business responded in kind, in an apparently reasonable, yet suspiciously unconvincing manner (perhaps to be expected from one defending themselves).

I've linked to both videos to give you an opportunity to judge for yourselves. (Try not to fall asleep during the second one)






You can watch (listen to) Peter Joseph's response here:



Opinions?

1 comment:

Couture Carrie said...

Cool blog!

Thanks for stopping by mine!

xoxox,
CC